Red Light Therapy (RLT) is also known as Photobiomodulation. This treatment uses a combination of red and infrared light to promote healing at the cellular level. The Theralight 360 is the only true 360 degree treatment system to use 4 wavelengths of red and near infrared light to increase circulation and to synthesize cellular energy. Our natural metabolic processes are enhanced through use of red light therapy. This helps to reduce the damaging effects of Oxidative Stress, or free radicals, in the body. Oxidative stress has also been linked to the formation of wrinkles, but also to diseases such as diabetes and cancer.
How Does Red Light Therapy Work?
Light in certain wavelengths can have positive effects on our body. Just as ultraviolet light from the sun develops a reaction from the melanin in our skin, Red Light Therapy stimulates the metabolic energy processes in our cells. Cellular energy, known as ATP, gets a boost from red and infrared light which increases energy transport within our cells. This in turn accelerates our natural healing cycle to reduce inflammation and promote healing of damaged tissues. The red/infrared light penetrates deeply into our tissues and is readily absorbed by the cells in our body.
What is Red Light Therapy Used for?
There are a variety of uses for Red Light Therapy, here are some of the most notable reasons people use it:
- Decreased Inflammation - great for those who suffer from arthritis
- Reduces pain - through the reduction of inflammation
- Increases energy - our cells are getting rid of the things that slow us down
- Improves sleep
- Improves circulation - which improves wound healing
- Speeds up recovery and healing. Benefits have been found in use before and after surgery
- Improves mood and reduces stress
- Improves appearance of skin, especially in those with psoriasis
- Weight management - as a result of improvements in other areas!
For more information about Red Light Therapy, contact our office at 734-287-3000